Friday, August 1, 2014

Started playing Peggle...so long life.

It is not a joke. I started playing Peggle. 2 days later I stopped. Because I had finished the entire game. Then I thought I had better play Peggle Night. After all, I was suffering from withdrawals. I could have more will power this time around. So I started playing Peggle Night. 2 days later I stopped. Because I had finished the entire game. (For the record, I am a teacher on summer vacation and clearly, I used my time wisely)

I dream Peggle. When I close my eyes I am plotting points and angles to shoot the ball in order to hit the orange pegs. Peggle took over my life for a time. I am not proud of it but I enjoyed every fun and frustrating moment and felt a strong satisfaction when this happened.


The question as to why I was obsessed entertained with Peggle and therefore addicted willing to spending so much time playing a game on my phone. Let me explain how it works.

*     *     *     *    *

Peggle is the perfect balance between challenge and fun. They start you out with a small challenge. Shoot the ball and hit the orange pegs. Once you do that, you win. And so you channel the days of Frogger and Pinball and you blast the pegs. Satisfaction.

Next level, you do more of the same. Only this time, there are obstacles in the way. This process continues and with each level, a new character with a special power is introduced. Their special power enables you to overcome the obstacles. But each level also brings a new obstacle or challenge to overcome. This one harder than last. You may not succeed the first time. But you go back. You will win this time. Sometimes you do. Sometimes it means 8 attempts. Either way, you WILL win. Finally you make it to the ultimate challenge. And you get to choose the strange character with their magical power that you believe will help you win this great contest. You may not succeed the first time. But you go back. You will win this time. Sometimes you do. Sometimes it means 8, 9, 10, 15 attempts. Either way, you WILL win.

Breaks are taken. After all, you are an adult with responsibilities and the dog needs to go outside to take care of business.

But Peggle calls you back. You're sooooooo close. You'll get it. 5 more minutes. Maybe 5 more. Dang. I almost had it. One more time.

And so it goes.

Somehow, you have become so wrapped up in a game that you downloaded earlier that morning just to "check it out" because a Cadremate happened to have mentioned it at the last Hangout. Something that you once had no investment in, you are committed and determined to beat. Well done Peggle. Well done.

Landon and Jon...I blame you.

Oh Peggle (insert smiley face, heart eyes emoticon here).

2 comments:

  1. I believe Peggle is medically classified as an opiate - it's addiction levels are THAT strong. Don't try to quit cold turkey - ease onto methadone, find a sponsor, and then you can quit. I have my 1 year chip, and I'm taking it day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold turkey was not the way to go. Attending a Peggle Players Anonymous. Starting methadone. Hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete