Monday, August 18, 2014

Games and Kids

It's that time of year. Everything is starting back up and I am caught between being in "summer mode" and "real life."  My last 2 weeks have been consumed with helping the parental units pack their up their home and move (though they are in limbo until the new house closes which means my house is happily a partial storage unit), school has started and along with teaching 8th grade I am working in more of a leadership role to the staff than ever before, and... so much reading, blog to update, thinking to be done and so it goes...

Despite the craziness and a long to-do list, I spent an evening watching my friends kids so that they could take some time for themselves. I'm pretty nice that way. Call it procrastination, being a friend, or just stupid, I headed over to their house and the four boys (ages 4-10) had a delightful evening. To be honest it is the most relaxed and entertaining evening I've had in a while. Why, you might ask?

Mario Cart.

Enough said.

But for the sake of it being more than just a fun evening with some of my favorite little people, I thought I'd reflect on the experience in light of gaming and learning I am supposed to be doing.

Recently, I have been playing more video games than I ever have in my life. Some of them have been fun, others simply frustrating.  Most of my recent game playing experience has been conducted with a mindful, analytical approach. The night in question was not such an experience. I simply played. Because they wanted to play. The boys cheered and we all giggle. The youngest did not really play but was so engaged in our racing, it did not matter.

Why so much fun?

We were playing together. In person. Not together on a screen from different locales. We were all caught up in the moment.

4 brothers and me.
Giggling.
Competitive.
Relaxed.
Engaged.

Some of the most fun I've had in the last 2 weeks is thanks to Mario Cart.

I improved as the game went on. And the boys were eager to help.

In that moment I was not pondering the words of Gee, Burke or McGonigal. But, as I look back on the evening it is clear that there is truth to Burke's identification of "kindred spirits" and "support from friends".

The truth is that I am not going to come home and play Mario Cart after work. It's not something that appeals to me. But, if friends are playing, old or young. Count me in.



No comments:

Post a Comment