Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Progressive learning

*Note to reader... forgive the jumping around of ideas and thoughts...it might come together at the end...no promises*

It is a term that comes up multiple times in Gamify, by Brian Burke and one that should be applied in classrooms on a daily basis. It should be applied in all learning environments. The idea of learning in incremental steps is centric to gaming, small steps first, building on those skills over time. I've referred to this concept in previous posts and have been pondering it as I explore various video games. It doesn't seem to matter which game I play. This incremental or progressive learning approach applies to all. Some games have little challenge and therefore the increments are limited, but others are quite complex and therefore the incremental/progressive learning is necessary and layered.

The truth remains that I am not one to sit down and play games on my computer for hours upon hours. It's not that I necessarily do not spend hours in front of my computer or TV. It's just that, for the most part, games don't interest me. There are the few that are the exception or that suck me in (Peggle, Tiny Wings and 7 Words have entertained me plenty). But I rarely come back. It's more of a binge mentality. Until I am sitting in the dentist office waiting for my cleaning appointment. But even then, I'll open up a book app and read, before playing one of the few games on my phone.

Why is this?

In Gamify, Burke states that "gamification does not just mean make a game." It refers to the incremental, progressive game mechanics of gaming. As I stated above, this is an idea that should be present in every learning environment. Burke also goes on to explore when and why gamification is successful. Turns out, it is not always successful, be it poor implementation, lack of buy in, failure to provide "meaningful" and "engaging" experiences.

That got me thinking, if one were to gamify professional development at my school, would I buy in? I looked into this concept of professional development gamification and sure enough there are examples all over the World Wide Web.

I think I'd be there person in the corner, trying to get work that "really matters" done. I'd be that pain in the butt adult.

On the other hand, I can see how the mechanics of gaming are applicable to professional development. Clearly, it has been somewhat successful.

I still don't think I'd respond well.

The only way I think I would buy in is if it was collaborative. Even then...I'm not sure.

I'm still pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment