Friday, July 11, 2014

I Am Ready For This

Thrown together, from all over the country (though California is heavily represented, myself included), 16 people are gathered together, all starting their Masters program in Learning Technologies at Pepperdine University, Graduate School of Education and Psychology. They stay in dorms, hang out all day and it turns out, they actually like one another. During the course of the week they are given the following tasks: imagine a yo-yo in space...does it work, make a portrait poster, build lego robots that can make through a Goonies inspired obstacle course while The Goonies plays in the background, build sandcastles, pretend it's 2 years down the road at a party and you are introducing yourself to a friend and handing them your business card, and chop vegetables. And delicious snacks are there for the taking.

Totally what I expected of my grad school orientation. Yeah, not so much. 


Myself and 16 others are preparing to walk together for the next year. It will be hard work. There is no doubt about it. I have spent this last week observing, laughing, listening, absorbing and questioning. I am thinking about brain and what makes them tick. Why do I like editing video but am not so game for coding (no pun intended)? Is this an opportunity to re-invent...to find my 2.0? What future do I want to create? What are my student's brains doing? How does this experience translate to my classroom? Is the Lego robot challenge going to ever work? 

I am supposed to ask the why and find answers.

Right now, I have no answers.

My brain is full. 

I am ready. 

But...maybe remind me 6 months from now.




No comments:

Post a Comment