Monday, March 9, 2015

{KS} Cog Tools: "Why" Journal Reflection

I work at a school. The “why” should be fairly clear but that is not always the case at a school site. It is, however, at my site. The “why” is the kids. NES is all about creating and fostering learning in students. The “why” is (as cheesy as it sounds) tapping the potential and interest in each individual student so that each of those students has the tools, skills and ability, should they choose, to accomplish whatever goal or dream they have and to ultimately be successful in life. It is not just about students passing tests either. The “why” that drives my organization is the person that student will become. We look at the kid as a whole person, one that will one day have a larger role in society and we want to make sure that the student is equipped to handle challenges, is kind and sees beyond just herself/himself.
Our “why” is central to the larger organizations (the District) activity as well. While it can be mired down by politics and funding, I work in a district that truly seeks to support and foster education.


Over the course of this year, my why has evolved. And, with the help of this program and some probing questions from a friend, my “why” is as follows:
Passionate about deepening educator and student knowledge and critical thinking I strive to expand their world and introduce them to the fundamental truth. Through the vehicles of Educational Leadership, Technological 21st Century Skills, Holocaust Education, Writing and Literature my desire is to awaken them to the individual story and their appreciation of their responsibility as an educator and global citizen.
This is what I want to do with my life. It is what makes me tick, what gets me up each morning, and what directs the choices I make.


Over the course of the last 2 months I have experienced quite a bit of change and that has in turn, heightened my need for personal reflection. A couple of weeks ago I spent some time on my computer writing. It was one of those soul searching, “what am I doing?”, “what is my purpose?” kind of moments. I would not say that I am the eternal optimist, but I love the quote “dwell in possibility” by Emily Dickinson. While my moment of intense reflection a couple weeks ago began out of frustration, fear and what felt like extremely overwhelming decisions, it came to an end with a sense of peace and purpose. Somewhere in my rant I was redirected to my “why” and the idea of dwelling in that possibility.

In many ways my “why” is a more specific and detailed version of my institutions “why”. We both exist to foster and deepen learning. And, while I am ready for some change in my daily work life, I am thankful to be a part of an organization and institution that aligns to and supports my own personal “why”.  As I stated earlier, there are times when policy, budget and state mandates, etc. can be frustrating or annoying. But, ultimately, I spend each day doing what I want to do. I get to support teachers and students. I get to learn, challenge and be challenged. It makes me good at my job, pushes me to improve and inspires me to find new opportunities.  It is a job that allows me to live most days in the “possible”.

No comments:

Post a Comment