Thursday, October 2, 2014

{KS} AR Framing

Framing my research problem...I am still struggling a bit with my AR questions but am beginning to feel better about the direction I am headed. As I tackle more of the Literature Review, I am finding more clarity.

Field of Action: Professional Development and Tech Integration at a K-8 Elementary School
Problem: Teachers are feeling frustrated, anxious and overwhelmed when faced with integrating technology into their curriculum and classroom as a learning tool.
Possible Solution: Provide professional development tailored to the individual needs of the staff using Design Thinking principles.
Library search terms: professional development, design thinking, technology integration, motivation to change, differentiation, professional training, engagement, professional learning communities, technology coordinator,
Outcome: A happier staff and classrooms wherein teachers and students are actively utilizing the technology because they are more comfortable and confident.
Research Questions: (a work in progress) Here are the questions I am attempting to answer as I navigate and explore this new world:

1) What questions arise out of my experience to which I would like to search for answers?
  • how can I support teachers so that they feel more comfortable?
  • how can PD be differentiated to meet the individual needs of the teacher and classroom or grade level?
2) What might be the answers to these questions?
  • differentiation
  • 1:1 support
  • professional goals tied to technology integration

3) What do I think might be the underlying causes of the situation for which I have these questions?
  • lack of time
  • lack of support
  • money
  • did I mention time?
  • the need to do too much in a short period of time
  • not applying what is known about how individuals learn to PD and adults

4) What alternative answer might exist
  • restructure PD
  • restructure the classroom
5) Where do I fit into the situation as defined by the questions?
  • Technology and Curriculum Coordinator and working with administration and staff to support integration into the classroom
6) What opposition will I encounter?
  • time
  • attitudes
  • money
  • support from all parties involved
  • resources
7) Where are the sensitive issues?
  • change. people are scared, intimidated, opposed, etc to change
  • previous experiences have made it so that it is difficult for teachers to 'buy in"
  • time constraints
  • teachers already feel bogged down by their many and various responsibilities 
8) What are the constraints?
  • time 
  • money
9) Who needs to be involved?
  • myself
  • teachers
  • administration
  • IT?
10) Whose support do I enlist?
  • teachers
  • administration
  • computer lab aide
  • ???



No comments:

Post a Comment